My journey to become a psychologist began when I was in college. As a psychology major, I was fascinated by the complexities of human behavior and how our life experiences impact our personal development. While I was completing my Master's degree, I became interested in women's health concerns and served as a graduate assistant at the Women's Resource Center on campus where I organized campus-wide outreach services, focusing on eating disorders, relationship concerns, and personal development. My passion for women's health extended throughout my doctoral studies, and I wrote my dissertation on eating disorders and acculturation. As a licensed psychologist, I focus on women's wellness with a special focus on prenatal and postpartum depression and anxiety, as well as reproductive health concerns. As a therapist, I approach my patients with warmth, honesty and compassion, and I believe that psychotherapy provides an opportunity for people to witness the healing that can occur by way of human relationships.
- 2005-2005: Postdoctoral Fellowship (APA-Approved), University of California, Berkeley
- 2003-2004: Pre-Doctoral Clinical Internship (APA-Approved), University of California, Berkeley
- 2004: Psy.D.(APA-Approved), University of Northern Colorado
- 1999: M.A.(APA-Approved), University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Postdoctoral Education & Training:
- Mindfulness-Based Support For Fertility Concerns with Buffy Trupp, M.A. (based on the work of Dr. Alice Domar)
- Mindful Motherhood Practitoner Training based on the work of Dr. Cassandra Vieten
- Mindful Parenting Training, Center for Reflective Parenting and New Center for Psychoanalysis
- Postpartum Mood Disorders Assessment and Treatment Training, Postpartum Support International
- San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute (SFCP) Early Childhood Development Consultation Program/Training
- PACT Training Level I (Psychobiological Approach to Couples Therapy)
- Attachment & Psychotherapy training with David Wallin
Clincal Training & Consultation:
- Private Practice, Licensed Psychologist (PSY20718)
- Health Educator/Group Facilitator, UCSF Great Expectations Pregnancy Program
- Medical Advisory Board Member & Freelance Writer, BabyCenter
- Adjunct Clinical Faculty, CPMC Hospital, Department of Psychiatry
- Member of the Senior Clinicians Group for Perinatal Wellness at CPMC Hospital
- Former Staff Psychologist, UCSF School of Medicine
- Former Staff Psychologist, UC Berkeley
- Former Consulting Psychologist for the Adoptee Mentor Program (AMP)
- Former Chair of Eating Disorders Awareness Week, UC Berkeley
- Along with my colleauge, Dr. Bindu Garapaty, I presented a workshop addressing the cultural considerations when assessing, diagnosing and treating postpartum mood concerns among Asian and Asian American women.
- In April, 2015, I presented at the APA, Division 39 (divison of psychoanalysis) about the postpartum support group, "The Afterglow" that I co-facilitate for the UCSF Women's Health and Resource Center.
- In April, 2016, I presented at a perinatal education conference for the CPMC Department of Nursing and talked about cultural sensitivity when working with antenatal and postpartum patients.
- 2010: Division On Women Award from the Asian American Psychological Association, Symposium Topic "Postpartum Depression and Culturally Appropriate Birth Plans: Educaton For Practitioners."
- Member, Northern California Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology.
Member, American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA).